History‎ > ‎


It is thought that a windmill once stood at the top of Watson's Hill, George Bendall used to say, 'go to the end of the road where the mill stood'.  It is possible that the public road running from Sayers Green did end at The Old Cottages, for in 1840 the track ran down the hill and the land on each side was subject to tithe and therefore privately occupied.  Another track led from the sharp corner at Gate Farm to the mere, which was a regular route in the past.